Terwilligers In America Inc


 

Pictured below is the stone house Evert Terwilliger built in 1738 along the Plattekill River on 400 acres his wife, Sara Freer, inherited. In the north wall of the house are two marked stones, one cut with "1738 ETWI" and the other with "1741 ETW". The initials are those of Evert Terwilliger and his son, Evert. Stones in the south wall are marked "DFI 1760" and "IVW 1787", these are believed to be those of Daniel Freer, Jr. and Issac Van Wagner, near relatives of the occupants of the house. The house is now owned and maintained by the “Locust Grove, The Samuel Morse Historic Site”, Poughkeepsie, New York. Contact them to Visited. http://www.lgny.org/

Evert Terwilliger House, built 1738 - New Paltz, NY

The house is located approximately 9 miles south of New Paltz, NY on Route 42 in Gardiner, NY.

 

Return To TFA Home Page


 

Page now maintained by Terry Terwilliger as of 9/27/05

Page last updated: 01/25/11

Comments, critiques, and suggestions can be sent to:

tfanews2002@yahoo.com